Monday, October 3, 2016

My FAVORITE Turkey Chili Recipe EVER!

There is just something about this cool fall weather, football on tv, pumpkins, pumpkin spice... well, pumpkin everything, that makes me crave chili! Chili is such a comfort food for me and having a bowl on a cool day is probably one of my favorite things. When I became a health coach I decided to clean up my diet but was intimidated thinking I had to change everything I was eating. I thought I had to forget about all my favorite foods and dishes, but really, it's about finding balance in your nutrition and making healthy choices. So, instead of completely ditching all my favorite meals, I decided I would clean them up as much as I can. And that's when I came across THIS turkey chili recipe! What started as us making it while I was doing the 21-Day Fix turned into a staple in our house. We were even making it weekly for a while there because it's THAT good! So, here is the recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 



Ingredients:

- 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Red Pepper, diced into medium chunks
- 1 Yellow Pepper, diced into medium chunks
- 1 Green Pepper, diced into medium chunks
- 1 Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves (or more depending on your taste), minced
- 1 LB Ground Turkey
- 3 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of Kosher Salt, add more as you need it
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cumin
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1-28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Low-Sodium Chicken Broth or Stock
- 2-14 oz cans of Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Bay Leaf

For Serving:

- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream (we use plain Greek yogurt)
- Tortilla Chips (we usually skip these)

Instructions:

1. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until simmering. Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic; season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened. (5-8 minutes)

2. Increase the heat to medium high, add the turkey, and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it's no longer pink and is just cooked though. (4-6 minutes)

3. Add the chili powder, measured salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon; stir to coat the turkey and vegetables, and cook until fragrant. (about 1 minute)

4. Add the diced tomatoes and their juices as well as the broth or stock, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the bay leaf, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld. (about 30 minutes)

5. Remove bay leaf. Taste and season with additional salt as needed. Serve with the cheese, sour cream (Greek yogurt), and chips.

---------------------------

Recipe courtesy of chow.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment